Pass the Mashed
Pass the Mashed… Cauliflower that is!
Kale has seen it’s fair share of days on menus, Brussels sprouts had their resurgence too, avocado is still a staple at restaurants across the country, but if you ask us for our prediction, we say: move over all you other vegetables, the humble, yet underutilized cauliflower is the new superfood. A cousin of the more commonly chosen broccoli, a close family member of the versatile cabbage, the cauliflower can be cut, chopped, roasted and sautéed into a wide range of delicious dishes. A hearty, earthy, tummy-filling, main ingredient to many meals that will turn anyone into a cruciferous veggie lover in no time.
We could go on and on about all the possible cauliflower based concoctions, but in honor of the upcoming holiday, we thought we would share our favorite delectable, easy-to-make and perhaps even slightly healthier version of your classic Thanksgiving mashed potato recipe. We know… it could be said that it’s bad form to mess with such a menu staple, but we say, if you are improving upon the original, they why not give it a try?!
This recipe is a snap to make and a real crowd pleaser. So, don’t be worried about any pushback from family when you serve this new dish. Our guess is that even the biggest of potatoes heads out there won’t even realize that you snuck in this vitamin and fiber packed substitute.
Mashed Potatoes / Cauliflower:
- 10 -12 Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- ¼ cup Earth Balance Butter Substitute
- ½ cup Soy Milk (or other Milk Substitute)
- ½ Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 4 – 5 Heads of Garlic (chopped)
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chopped chives and Follow Your Heart Parmesan Shreds for garnish
- In a large pot, boil water (add salt and a touch of oil)
- Once boiling, add potatoes and cauliflower (keep heat on high and cook until tender)
- While potatoes and cauliflower is cooking, in a skillet, add oil and sauté onions and garlic until translucent
- Once potatoes and cauliflower are soft, drain off excess water and add to your Kitchen Aid mixer (or any other mixer you have available)
- Next, add the Earth Balance Butter and Soy Milk (you may want more of each after you mix and taste!)
- Mix on low speed for about 4-5 minutes
- Add onion and garlic mixture, add spices
- Continue to mix until smooth and add ingredients to taste
Serve with freshly cut chives and a pinch or two of Follow Your Heart Parmesan Shreds.
Take photos and tag us on Instagram. We would love to see how your tasty side dish turned out! #parkcitygroceryexpress and @parkcitygroceryexpress